Saturday, August 17, 2013

Let Go and Let God

Good morning out there! Nice to see you again! 

There has been a topic on my mind as of late, one that I have had the pleasure of coming up against in my own life- one that I know everyone faces at one point or anther- and one that can be extremely hard to over come, but let me tell you it has been the biggest blessing in my little life. 

Let's just get right to it. People are imperfect. They mess up. They do things they shouldn't. They say stuff they don't mean and they may even do it rashly or on purpose. AS a result- someone gets hurt. Whether it is in their heart or actually physically... when someone does something wrong it often can effect those around them. Lets be honest. That is probably one of the worst feelings that a human soul can feel- hurt. Or betrayal. Distrust. Unkindness. Anger... the list goes on and on... So what do we do about it? 

I may not be an expert, nor will I pretend to know ample amount of knowledge but what I do know is this- It happens to everyone. And we all must find somewhere deep within us to learn to let go. 

Once upon a time... someone I knew very dearly had made some unwise choices, and as a consequence I ended up feeling very hurt. My life seemed to have been taken from me, and I found myself getting lost in the details and my own depressing feelings... Wondering "how could they EVER do such a thing!"... I clung to the "justice" of making them feel as miserable and hurt as I was feeling. I thought that that was the only way to make the situation feel right. I needed to make them know HOW much they had really effected me.. right? WRONG. The longer this went on the more and more bitter I became. I lost who I was and found myself upset all the time. Why? because I was not exercising the concept of Forgiveness. 

One day after several months of this, I decided that I was done with this whole thing. I did not want that one choice that someone else made to rule me any more- but I had dug myself so deep I didn't know how to escape it... I began to pray and began to read my scriptures again- I began to talk to my mother and ask how I could let this stop! I was so exhausted from being mad ALL the time. I pondered and pondered and began to realize that the closer I came to Christ the more this all seemed to fade and dissolve into the background... 

What happened dear readers is something that I am so grateful for. I am so grateful for the opportunity to "carry my own cross" for just a few months. Why? because I was able to feel closer to my Savior. Looking back I could have and Should have let him carry it sooner but through it all  I realized that I needed to let it go and forgive them... And when I realized that Christ- the one and only person who was perfect- could

forgive those who killed him

I suddenly snapped out of it. I realized how silly I had been... This story may not mean much to you but it means everything to me. When I learned how to Forgive as the Savior did my world opened up again. I became who I was before and through it all- I became closer to my Savior. I learned just a speck more of what he went through when he carried that cross for me.. I can say today that this lesson that took some time to learn has helped in every day situations. 

If you are struggling to forgive someone right now, know that I know how hard it can be. But also remember that our Savior forgives us EVERYDAY. He loves us and wants us to let him carry that load. We do not need to. I promise that if you allow him to come and take that load- through prayer and scripture study you will become free and be able to find yourself once again. 

I know that it is true and that Jesus Christ died for us and for this purpose- so that we could learn to be like him, so we could be with him. I love you all and invite you to forgive those around you who may have done you wrong today. It will be the biggest blessing. I can testify of that.

All my missionary love,
Sister Steffany Laurel Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment